Thursday, June 12, 2014

World Cup Day 1

I received a text from my good buddy Derek at 3:01. He'd be at the Nomad for the game. No problem, I was going down there later so I took a quick shower and headed there. Luckily, it's less than 3 blocks from my house. The host country Brazil was playing Croatia. Brazil won 3-1 but it was a cheap and blatantly wrong penalty when they scored their second goal. The third goal made everyone feel better as no one wanted to start the World Cup Soccer with too much controversy. Quite a few Brazilian citizens are protesting the enormous cost to host the games feeling that the money could have been used better to help the impoverished. Brazilian police even started using tear gas on the crowds.

My hat is off to the Nomad. (nomadworldcopa.com). It's a long time soccer bar with tons of loyal soccer fans. This year, they took over the lot next to the bar and actually built a city. Outdoor bars and outdoor televisions. It's fashioned after the slums in Brazil. Naturally, someone became upset and the local television station's covered it last night. Poverty and slums exist quite heavily in Brazil, sometimes the truth hurts.

Coco took off to visit some friends in the Wisconsin Dells this morning. It truly is the waterpark capital of the world. We made sure to go for a run first before he left. He's become quite dedicated to his summer of becoming a fitness sports warrior!

I'm gonna go now. Dinner to eat and perhaps Jazz in the Park or more World Cup soccer. Besides, I'm seeing 3 keyboards right now and just trying my hardest to hit the middle keys as I type. Thanks Derek, good seeing my amigo again!

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment