Friday, February 21, 2014

Happy Birthday NASCAR

We woke up to an early morning windstorm accompanied by a bit of snow naturally. It looks like a tree branch cracked pretty good in the backyard but it's not in danger of hitting anything thankfully.

I have to get my driver's license renewed today and I'm dreading it. My birthday is tomorrow so I need to get it done. Hopefully it won't take longer than an hour.

Krissy and I are going to the Old German Beer Hall for happy hour tonight with some of her work friends. I'm ashamed to say I've never been to this establishment before. Despite my grandmother being 100% german, I've never been that fond of german beer or their food. I'm more of a Caribbean guy in case you haven't guessed.

Milwaukee's german heritage is second to none and the Old German Beer Hall is supposed to have the atmosphere of the Hofbrauhaus in Munich, Germany. Beer is served in liter mugs with bratwurst optional. I anxiously count the minutes to happy hour.

NASCAR was incorporated on this day in 1948. It's certainly come a long way from it's roots of ex-moonshine runners racing each other over southern clay ovals. Even in the early 70's it was still a small sport. One of my neighbor's bought a backup race car from Richard petty and raced the NASCAR circuit for a few years while working another job.

Today it's a huge money sport with tons of corporate sponsorships. Even a famous woman driver switched from Indy cars to the NASCAR circuit. The Daytona 500 is this sunday and it's become one of the largest viewed sporting events in the world. I'm going to root for whoever looks like a moonshiner the most!

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment