Saturday, February 15, 2014

The U.S. Maine

Dinner last night at Bosley's on Brady was fabulous. Krissy had the filet and I ordered the blackened grouper with a mango salsa. I'm going to learn to make mango salsa this summer, it's so good. The service was extraordinary as usual. We both ordered desert. I had the key lime pie and Krissy ordered sea salt caramel ice cream. It felt like summer for a little while anyway.

We got up early this morning and drove up to Manitowoc for Michele's father's funeral. It was a very nice service and Michele certainly has a wonderful family. Condolences to all.

I heard the USA hockey team beat Russia 3-2. I didn't get a chance to watch it but I'll make sure to catch the next one.

There was an interesting documentary I caught yesterday afternoon about the U.S. Maine explosion. Coincidentally or not, it blew up this date in 1898 in the harbor of Havana, Cuba. The inquiry was held at the Custom House in Key West where it was declared a hostile act. The Maine had deported Key West to Havana in what would be it's final journey.

The documentary demonstrates a theory that perhaps a hot coal room wall ignited some explosives in the next compartment and that it was merely an accident. Quite a few of the sailors are buried in the historic Key West cemetery. A couple photos of the memorial site from my camera phone are included below.

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment