Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Great Steak-Umm

Overcast and rainy today with temperatures in the mid 30's and still some snow pile remnants. It looks like the weekend will be decent though so maybe that will be the spring turning point.

The Cubs bullpen have blown their first two games of the season. At least they held on today for their first victory of the season. New Cub Emilio Bonifacio has 11 hits in his first 16 at bats. That's like a beast of a little league statistic. It's the hottest start I can recall in recent years.

Kentucky Senate candidate Matt Bevin attended a rally to make cockfighting legal again in Kentucky. I actually thought this was an Onion newspaper type joke but 700 people actually attended this event. Apparently the 21st century isn't as alive and well as I give it credit for. In addition to spending millions of his own money in the race he has been backed by the Tea Party in the race against incumbent Mitch McConnell. Good luck with that campaign strategy Mr. Bevin.

I ate the last of my steak-umm's for lunch yesterday. In high school and college I used to eat them twice a week. The thin beef sliced just right, placed on a warm roll and covered with ketchup. I remember how delicious they were and would always have two.

It took me forever to find them in a local grocery store. At the time I found that extremely odd so I bought two boxes in case there was a national shortage. Much to my surprise they totally suck now. I'll never buy them again. How did this happen? Did my taste buds change? Was I so poor back then that I tricked myself into thinking they were great? I won't lose any sleep over it as I think I'll try toasted cheese sandwiches again. They still make Velveeta, right?

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment