Monday, July 7, 2014

It's San Fermin Festival Time

It's a beautiful sunny 84 degree day and Coco's mom bought him a dog. A sweet little collie named Chloe. She's 3 months old and so well behaved. No incessant barking, biting, chewing or accidents. Almost the perfect puppy actually. They are both hanging around my house today.

The do-nothing Congress actually seems to be taking a deeper slide. Their approval rating has slipped from the low teens to a whopping 9 percent. Even family and friends are starting to bail out on this miserable bunch.

I'm going to give Summerfest a solid B for the 2014 festival. The bar has been set so high the last 10 years with simply great festivals year after year. The addition of the giant ferris wheel was certainly a nice touch. Who doesn't like a ferris wheel? The view was spectacular and I took some breath taking photos up there.

The Marcus Theater feature acts were excellent and offered at least one night for every music genre. I thought some of the sidestage feature acts were a bit weak compared to past years. Naturally, a lot of the selections depends who's currently on tour.

The Milwaukee area bands were exceptional this year and the food was great. A special kudos to A.J. Bombers with huge lines but excellent service and food. Beer lines seemed shorter this year although attendance looked a little down this year. Nothing but iffy weather to blame for that and it was still a solid turnout. I'm not sure how parking was as we walked or grabbed a bar shuttle. Living close has it's advantages and we made it down there 6 times.

Pamplona, Spain is on my bucket list. More specifically, the San Fermin Festival. Even more specifically, 'The Running of the Bulls.' It's happening this week and I check out various websites to follow it each day. I was scheduled to go one year but a serious event made me cancel my trip. It's the ultimate race for a old school distance runner like myself. Ernest Hemingway made this event over the top famous with his 1926 book, "The Sun Also Rises."

It's actually a 902 yard run in the street with 6 bulls released amongst the participants. People do get hurt every year and some have died. I'll run it very shortly and I'm confident of that. Hopefully, I 'll take my son along some day and run it with him. If I can hang on long enough, I'd like to do it with him and any child of his someday. Hopefully, he'll have kids sooner than I did or I might end up a statistic!  

Later
Chloe


Taking a Snooze

No comments:

Post a Comment