Monday, August 18, 2014

It's Jimmy Buffett Week

It's a bit overcast today in the mid 70's. If saturday is like this I will be okay with it. The saturday forecast is for 82 degrees with a decent chance of rain. Naturally, saturday is the highlight of my summer because Jimmy Buffett is playing at Alpine Valley.

It's the highlight of my summer every year. There's nothing quite like it and difficult to explain to somebody who's never been to one. My first Jimmy experience was in 1993 and I've been going every year since.

My group gets there as early as possible to party in the parking lot. Sometimes we come via bus or just take a few suv's. Lately, garage bands are bringing in their own stages and playing free concerts.

I've brought blenders and fancy grills. Or, I've just showed up with a small cooler and a sub sandwich.

One time we lost a person in our group and he called us from a rest stop 20 miles away. Another time it was a sunday night concert and had monday off. I invited a couple girls to go boating the next day and they actually showed up. Naturally, I was too hungover to make it!

Another time I had an industrial roll of toilet paper around my forearm and went thru the crowd making mummies. I woke up the next day with a bad friction burn on my forearm.

About 15 or 16 years ago I set another human being on fire. Yes, another human being! It wasn't exactly my intention or my proudest moment. At the last minute 2 guys in grass skirts sat on my sandals and were crowding us in our hard fought lawn seats. Jokingly, I took my friends lighter and struck it by his grass skirt. I didn't think it would go up like a forest fire. Don't think bad things, it's not like I didn't jump on him to smother him out. 

You never know what to expect at a Jimmy Buffett concert. Geez, I can't wait to see what saturday brings!

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment